Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart in Princeton, New Jersey is an independent Sacred Heart school for boys in Kindergarten through Grade 8. We are currently seeking a full-time Middle School Science Educator for the 2022–23 school year.
Rooted in the more than 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart, the mission of Princeton Academy is to develop young men with active and creative minds, a sense of understanding and compassion for others, and the courage to act on their beliefs. Princeton Academy has established itself as an outstanding school for boys that educates the whole child: intellectually, spiritually, morally, socially, emotionally, and physically. Princeton Academy seeks candidates who believe in the mission of the school.
Princeton Academy has created a program that meets the varied needs of our young gentlemen, steeped in years of gender-based research on how boys learn best, including differentiated learning. The social, academic and physical development of each boy is paramount. Academic programs, based on best practices for boys, have been created to meet our boys' physical and social needs, learning styles and broad interests. An inquiry-based approach to science, paired with a curriculum that is aligned with the New Jersey Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), affords our boys the opportunity to cultivate curiosity and apply scientific and technical knowledge to real-world problems. Research skills evolve as students learn to identify appropriate resources and evaluate the validity of information. Middle school science educators help Princeton Academy students develop life-long learning habits that are steeped in inquiry and discovery.
Clear and effective communication with families is necessary and a good sense of humor, a positive outlook, and an appreciation of the unique qualities of the age group are essential. Candidates must show a strong willingness to receive feedback regularly, grow professionally, significantly contribute to the life of the school, and be eager to work in a culturally and ethnically diverse school community, committed to social justice, equity, and inclusion. The position will also provide the opportunity for advancing Princeton Academy’s Epic Vision through the leadership of initiatives in the School's 5-year strategic plan and through Princeton Academy's soulful commitment to advancing the imperatives of Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI). Additionally, there will be an inspiring opportunity to fulfill the mission of Princeton Academy and enrich the curriculum of the school to reflect its beautiful diversity within the promise of this space. There are additional opportunities for leadership and engagement based on the candidate’s interests and skills.
Interested candidates should have three or more years of teaching experience with a background in science. A strong belief in the mission and vision of Princeton Academy, the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria and Princeton Academy’s Learning Principles for Boys is essential. The position requires clear collaboration and communication with the middle school teaching team, which includes educators of English, math, social studies, Spanish, religion, information technology, visual art, music, physical education, health and wellness and others. A background in lesson planning and unit mapping that delivers a clear scope and sequence is necessary. In addition to homeroom responsibilities and divisional duties, there are additional opportunities for leadership and engagement based on the candidate’s interests and skills.
This position requires:
- A strong belief in the mission and vision of Princeton Academy, the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria and Princeton Academy’s Learning Principles for Boys are essential
- A joyful and inspirational approach to teaching and learning, along with an articulated desire to work with boys in Kindergarten through Grade 8; well versed in the best practices of teaching science to middle school students
- A desire to inspire students and ignite a sense of wonder in all learners, balancing challenge with support while bringing out the best in students with every opportunity
- A demonstrated commitment to engaging learners through experiential learning; hands-on approach to teaching science in a dynamic and applied fashion
- Collaboration with Lower School and Middle School Faculty
- Presenting well-planned lessons with appropriate work in and outside of the classroom with a focus on the integration of subject areas, problem-solving, and creativity
- Teacher duties can range from Kindergarten to Grade 8
- Integration of technology and a variety of mediums into classroom lessons
- Maintenance of an organized, pleasant, and inviting environment that supports excellence in teaching and learning; maintain resources and inventory of science/lab materials and equipment
- Leadership of the school community in a variety of forums aimed at showcasing and highlighting science at Princeton Academy throughout the school year
- Enthusiastic about working collaboratively to build curriculum and improve pedagogy
- Active participation in professional growth and reflection
- Coaching experience and the ability to lead co-curricular activities are preferred
- Commitment to professionalism and excellence
- Organized and able to manage multiple tasks
- Socially conscious, wants to make a difference in the world
- Effective communicator with a range of audiences, orally and in writing
- Collaborative, flexible and creative
- Accessible, approachable, child-centered
Interested candidates are asked to submit:
- A letter of interest
- A current resume
- A statement of educational philosophy
- List of references
Please submit materials electronically via email attachment to Dean of Faculty Zaneta Chambers at email@example.com. Princeton Academy will acknowledge receipt and contact you.
Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.